PURPOSE: TO COLLECT, PRESERVE AND TELL THE STORIES OF MASON HISTORY.
HISTORY: The Mason Area Historical Society was formed in 1976, the year of the United States Bicentennial and the 100th anniversary of Mason being incorporated as a city.
For twenty years the society's main project was the Pink School. This country school was built in 1854 and was moved from its original location east of the city at the corner of College and Columbia Roads and relocated adjacent to the school building on West Ash Street.
It was used for Society's meetings and to educate children about schools of the past. The Pink School's interior looks very much like a real country school with many original artifacts.
In 1997 the Society had the opportunity to purchase the Christian Science Mason Society building at the corner of Oak and Barnes Streets near downtown Mason.
In the 1800s the building was the "city house" of the John Rayner family, a pioneer Mason family. Their first home was built on their farm homestead and still exists on West Ash Street across from Rayner Park.
The community rallied to raise the $90,000 purchase price for the building. That community support continues with contributions of thousands of voluntreer hours and contributions from many individuals.
SERVICES: MAHS has a General Membership meeting on the first Monday of each month with a public presentation about Mason's history. We have an extensive research library. We accept, organize, preserve, and display artifacts donated from the community.
MAHS publishes a quarterly newsletter with information about the Society's activities and the history of Mason. MAHS has published books about Mason history that are available for sale at the Historical Museum, Best Sellers Book Store, Maple Street Mall, Ware's Drugs, and the Mason Antique Market.
Our fund-raisers include sales of home made pies; local garden tours in alternate summers; home tours in October of alternate years; and periodic concerts in the Museum Auditorium.